Ok, I'm back. I took a bit of an unintentional blogging vacation. I was beginning to feel like this blog was turning into "Sheia's re-hab blog", and I was a bit tired of my rehab! But it has been a major player in my life the last four months and since this is my journal it is important to include.
So here is the update...
I have officially quit my narcotics this week! Yea! That is a big hurdle to get over. I remember the night in the ambulance when they gave me my first dose of morphine and it hardly touched the pain, I knew that there was going to be a lot of drugs involved in my recovery and I was so scared of becoming dependent on pain meds because of how common it has become for people to become addicted. I know that my friend Lynita, who was in the trauma room with me and is a nurse, must have been chuckling inside at me when I made her promise to not let me get addicted-after 1 dose of morphine. But I WAS worried! So it is a big deal for me to be done with the heavier stuff. I'm still working out how to best control the aches and pains I still feel, but a little ibuprofen works ok for now. One thing that I don't like so much about being off the pain meds is that I'm much more aware of that metal plate in my arm. Occasionally I have bumped it and it just makes me cringe. But, my arm is straight and healing! Woo hoo!
My shoulder is doing much better. My arm rotation behind my back is still a bit painful, and I don't have a lot of arm strength yet, but it can move. Yea! I have about 15 degrees left to go on my elbow extension, and my fingers work pretty good once I get them going. The current bigger issue is my darn wrist that just doesn't want to move a whole lot. I'm still going to physical therapy and do plenty of exercises at home for all my "issues".
Another big deal to me now is that I am back to driving! Not a lot, and in select locations only, but driving! I actually feel so much better being the driver than the passenger. Not that I don't trust Byran, he is a great driver, but when you are the driver, you are more in control of the situation. You know how much you are breaking and turning, etc. I have turned into a horrible passenger freak at times, which I hate. But, I have also ditched my car pillows, and refuse to take pillows to church anymore either! I am ready to at least look more normal. I think I do ok, until I have to use my Barbie arm.
School is now out as well, so that means I am a full-time mom again! I've looked forward to this as well as been nervous about it. My goal was to be able to drive by the time school got out so the kids wouldn't be stuck at home all summer. Now to just pay our monstrous library fine so we can sign up for the summer reading program. That ought to buy them some books for the new library!
But the biggest plan of all is to hopefully be a little more present again. As necessary as it has been, it has been hard to be on the sidelines a lot and so dependent on others. I'm know I need to be realistic about what I am capable of doing, and I have the tendency of overdoing cause I feel fine NOW and then pay for it later. I am so grateful to the wonderful examples of others and all the service and kindness I have and continue to be the recipient of. I am excited about being on the giving end once again!
So there you go. Although issues still linger, I'm turning my focus back to where it needs to be...to all of my Ks :0)
PS- Don't miss the previous post...new I CAN item for June!
4 comments:
Yay Sheia! So glad you are back. :)
Been thinking of you a lot, and am so proud of your driving ablities. (I know that was a big hurdle.)
Hope you had a great Idaho trip.
Sure love you!
Hugs from J, L, & N!!!
Sheia you're awesome. :)
you are amazing! Reuben had so much fun yesterday! thank you!!
Hey Sheia, What's the latest in your recovery process? Daniel & Lynita
Post a Comment