Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Best Effort

Last night was "Family Skate Night" for the kids' school. We all went to the Roller Skating Rink and had a blast with the kids. Boy did it bring back some memories of Elementary School and Jr. High! I felt confident and just knew I would be able to impress my kids with the skills that I honed years ago skating for hours in my garage and driveway growing up.
I SWEAR there must have been something wrong with my skates, because I could not skate straight if my life depended on it! Boy did I ever feel uncoordinated and unbalanced. What was this?

We started Ky and Karissa out in skates, but they both ended up on scooters, which was SO much easier and enjoyable for everyone involved. Byran and I tried to keep up with the Magoobies going round and round and round.

It was exciting to watch the kids explore something new and fun to interact with friends and kids from the neighborhood and church in a different way. I played "WIPE OUT" and all of the other games with all I had in me. We took little if any breaks at all. I think I spent a good amount of time on my rear end.We stayed just over 2 hours, but should have called it quits 5 minutes earlier- before I had my grand finale- a full body slam to the floor on my back from a still, standing position. How it happened I don't know. It was impressive I'm sure as it was the kind of fall where everyone close by turned, gasped, and said "Are you OK?!!", and I gasped back "yeees" and tried very hard to act normal and not let the tears show as I pulled myself slowly up to hunched position and headed for the door, praying that I wouldn't fall again.

So this morning, I could hardly get my sorry body out of bed. My wrists, palms, and elbows bear the purple proof of all of my less than graceful attempts at being a 40 year old skating diva. I walked like a 90 year old woman with osteoporosis, and every fiber of my being ached. Thanks to ibuprofen and a hot shower, I've been able to function somewhat today, even if I've had to walk a bit more cautiously with my rear-end sticking out a little more than normal.

Don't worry, as fun as it was, I don't think I will be making my skating comeback anytime in the near future.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oh Sheia, I love the pictures. I think you are very brave for even going. I hope the aches and pains are settling down now. Your kids looked like they had a ball. I am regretting that we didn't make a better effort to do it. We could have at least shared the floor.

Deborah said...

ha ha

Megan said...

It looks like you guys enjoyed yourselves. My Mom always said, "Quit while you are still having fun." I was really hoping for a picture of Byran skating- any hope we will see one in the future? :-)

I miss you. Went to Enrichment tonight and it made me miss you X 100.

Jess said...

You are such a fun Mom! That's too bad about the fall. A few years ago I was trying to be a fun Mom and we went to the school to play and I did some cherry drops off a bar....the next day the back of my knees were SOOOO bruised. I felt cool.