Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Grandma and Jack

Today I spent some good time with my Grandma. I drove her up to Salt Lake to see her only living sibling, Jack and his wife Bev. They haven't seen each other in nearly 2 years and with Grandma approaching her 93rd birthday, I have felt an urgency to give her the opportunity to visit with her baby brother.

Grandma was not at her best mentally when I picked her up and was confused thinking she hadn't seen Jack since he was 4 years old. I wasn't completely convinced that she comprehended what we were doing or who we were going to visit. We talked for our 45 minute drive to Jack's home about her childhood, and sang songs I remember singing at Bear Lake reunions with her family and cousins years ago. Slowly the memories became more vivid for her, and she became very excited to see her brother.
It was such a sweet reunion! Bev had kept our visit a secret from Jack. He opened the door, recognized her right away and began to sob. Poor Grandma, with her failing eyesight and hearing couldn't find where he was inside the door. Once they were in each other's arms they hugged and cried and rejoiced.

They spent the next 2 hours holding hands, snuggling on the couch sharing memories, singing songs, joking, and catching up. You could just feel the strong bond of siblings and the love they have for each other. They shared memories of each other and their parents and other family members and my Grandpa Reed too. Both Jack and Bev shared their love and great respect for my grandpa and each said he was such a gentleman.
I loved every minute being there with them. It reminded me of what wonderful family I come from and I hope to be able to emulate some of their best qualities and learn from the examples of their lives.

Time flew quickly and it was time to get Grandma home. Their goodbyes were so loving and tearful. They shared their love and appreciation for each other and desires for the best for each other.


It is hard for me to imagine being 92 years old. It will be hard at any stage in life for me to lose my parents or siblings. I do love life and want to live a long time, but I dread when the times of loss will come in my family and Byran's.

But, I am so grateful for the knowledge that when this life ends, it is not the end. I find so much comfort in knowing that Grandma and Jack will see their parents and siblings again, Grandma and Grandpa will be reunited, and that I will have my family forever.
Thanks for a wonderful day Grandma and Jack.

7 comments:

Patti said...

Sheia - Thanks for doing this for Mom. We will treasure this video memory for years to come. You're the best!
Aunt Patti

Kari U said...

Some things are never forgotten! Thank you Sheia :)

Chip Ormond said...

Thanks for your post on Jack and Ruth. It made me cry. I love them so much.

Chip Ormond
(First of the Geertsen Grand kids)

Carol said...

What a treasure! I could see my dad (Omer) in both of them. Made me miss him & the others so much. What happy reunions await us all! Thanks Sheia!

Anonymous said...

So fun to see Grandma and Jack together. It brings back such fond memories of the Morris clan. Thanks for sharing Sheia.

Robyn and Shauna said...

Sheia, Our family was so touched by this special experience you created by bringing Dad and Aunt Ruth together. We also have shed many tears because of love, great respect, and fond memories. Once again we have been reminded how precious life is and the blessing it is to belong to this wonderful family. Please give Aunt Ruth a hug for us. She's as beautiful as always. What a choice relationship you have with your sweet Grandma. Thanks for your inspiring example. We love you both very much, Robyn and Shauna

Bev and Jack said...

Dear Sheia, You are beautiful on the inside and out. Thank you....thank you.....thank you, for making the effort and taking the time to make it possible for Jack and Ruth to spend precious time together. We hope to see you and Ruth again soon. Love, Jack and Bev