Saturday, January 26, 2008

Lost and Found

Today our family went to the BYU vs NM basketball game. It is so rare that we do something like this all together, as certain members of the family don't do so well in settings such as this. But we have found that if we can keep them moving or eating non-stop throughout the event, we're good. If the food or money runs out, we're toast.

So, after multiple trips to the concession stand and bathroom, all of our ammuniton was gone. Karissa was starting to act like a caged animal with 3 minutes left in the game. TOAST. Although BYU was up by 30+ points, being the fully invested BYU fans that we are, we must stay to sing "Rise and Shout" at the buzzer. Byran was walking around with Karissa, and watching her climb all the way up and down the stairs. She did that a few times, and then, gone. GONE! He got my attention just in time to let me know she was gone just moments before the buzzer and the Marriott Center became a swarm of 19,00+ people leaving all at once.

I left my kids with friends that were at the game with us and joined the masses in desperate search of one small 4 year old Houdinin. I quickly found a police officer and told him my daughter was missing. He took a description of her (4 years old, wearing a BYU shirt, with hair that her mom can't decide what color it is-LAME description Mom! And why did she have to be wearing a BYU shirt like every other child there?) and called it in on his radio. He then sent me to the First Aid station where he said they could help more and would take her if she was found. I frantically search for her, feeling like it was so futile with all the people and open doors, and so many different places she could be. Those of you who know Karissa even in the smallest way, know what an escape artist she is. Add to that what a gregarious child she is and how she would easily become best friends with any stranger and take anything they might want to offer her. The horrors running through my mind, even though I knew that we were in a comparatively "safe" setting.

Byran's cell phone was going directly to his voice mail, so I had no way of knowing if he had found her. The clock kept ticking and I was now almost on the opposite side of the Marriott Center at the First Aid station. There they took more info and Karissa's description and sent me back to Portal K. I wanted so badly for them to call for her on the PA system and say "KARISSA JO, GO TO LETTER "K" RIGHT NOW!" I knew she knows the letter K and that this is where we were sitting because on all of our trips back from the bathroom and concession stand I had her find the letter K, and if I could just reminder her on the PA, maybe she would look for K! (I know, I know, the letter "K". We didn't get our tickets there on purpose, it was just a coincidence!)

On the way back to K, I saw the police officer again and thought to show him a picture I had of her on my cell phone. He said he had looked around outside and that all the security teams were looking for her too.

Still heading back to K, I took a quick look in the arena to see if I could see where Byran was and if he had Karissa since he still wasn't answering his phone. I couldn't tell if he had her but I could see that he was making a call. Just then my phone rang. He didn't have her, and he was calling from our friend's phone as his had died. Our friend Casey, who works for BYU athletics, was using his connections to help find her too. I explained that I was headed back towards him. About then I heard someone calling "Ma'am, ma'am!" and turned around to see the police officer coming towards me with a big smiling, thumbsucking Karissa!

What a FLOOD of emotions!! I'm really hoping that I thanked that wonderful officer, because I didn't even think to ask him what happened and how he found her, because all that I could think about was having that little girl back in my arms! Byran said that she was hugging onto him pretty tight when he held her, so we know she must have been somewhat affected by what had happened. I have no idea how long she was gone, except that is was long enough for the sea of people to clear the Marriott Center. But it sure felt like an eternity!

In the future, I will have current face photos of all my children on my cellphone, we will make sure our cell phones are charged before leaving the house, and be sure to have more than enough ammuniton with us!

Karissa is not one for re-telling events or details, so we really have no idea what happened other than she was lost for the longest moments of my life, and gratefully found!

4 comments:

Kari said...

Ah! How scary!! I can't even imagine. I'm glad everything is ok in the end, but what a nightmare!! That little Karissa!

Megan said...

I love Karissa. Ever since the day she first sat on my lap in church, I've had a special place in my heart for her. I can forgive her for making me sprint down the street after her while ward members drive by, staring. I can forgive her for opening the gate and hearing the sound of silence, and knowing something is not right. What a special little soul! I'm so glad you found her, and I'm so glad that special little soul has such wonderful and loving parents as you guys.

As I've gone through life, I have a short list of people I truly admire and want to be like, and you guys are near the top. Wonderful parents, loving people, not-judgmental and caring.

And you'll be the best activity chairs! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a scary thing to happen to you guys. But knowing Karissa it seems she is always on the go some place. Glad you found her safe. Now to find out where she had been all that time and among so many people she didn't know. You probably know that you will never loose her whatever she may do. Give her a hug from her Grandma K.

H. said...

Oh, how scary! I'm so glad everything worked out okay. That would have been a living nightmare!