I made it through my very first 5K race this morning RUNNING the whole way!
Woo Hoo for me!
This was the 2nd Annual Live wElle 5k (http://www.livewelle.org/). My friend Cami and I have been walking together in the mornings for the last year and a half, and she is the one who told me all about the Live wElle 5k as she knows the family who started the foundation last year after their 15 month old, Elle, died in a tragic accident. The Hullinger Family took a horrible tragedy and turned it into something wonderful and positive to help youth in the area be able to reach their dreams.
Their story was so inspiring that I decided I wanted to run it this year. Oh, by the way, I am not a runner, Yuck!
So, I started running in January. Training was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. About a month ago I hit a wall and had just about decided to walk it this year, when my dear friend Megan stepped up and said she would run with me. For the last few weeks she has been one of my biggest supporters and was exactly what I needed to get past that wall. What kind of friend, who recently had a baby and hasn't been running in a long time, steps up and makes that kind of sacrifice? I don't know that I'm that good of a friend, but I am very grateful and blessed to have Megan in my life (and not just because she ran with me!)
So, I started running in January. Training was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. About a month ago I hit a wall and had just about decided to walk it this year, when my dear friend Megan stepped up and said she would run with me. For the last few weeks she has been one of my biggest supporters and was exactly what I needed to get past that wall. What kind of friend, who recently had a baby and hasn't been running in a long time, steps up and makes that kind of sacrifice? I don't know that I'm that good of a friend, but I am very grateful and blessed to have Megan in my life (and not just because she ran with me!)
This morning was the race. It was FREEEEEEEZING COLD, and those of you who know me know how much I love being cold :( Don't you hate it when the gun goes off? I could do without that too.
Byran and the kids had recorded little messages for me that Byran snuck onto my ipod playlist. They were such cute and inspiring surprises along the way. At mile 1 the first runner passed me on his way to the finish! Can you believe he finished it in 15 something minutes?!! So that's going to make me sound really lame when I tell you that I finished it in about 34 minutes. But I'm proud of myself because my goal was to do it in under 35 minutes.
It was great to see Byran and the kids at the finish line cheering me on! I wish I had a camera to take a picture of my number one supporters and sponsors there. They were a happy site.
So there you go! The official times and places will be posted soon, so I will give you the update.
Special thanks go out to Cami, Megan, Byran and allmyks, Chad and Jack(in his little red footie pjs), and the wonderful and inspiring Hullinger family.
Live life. Live it wElle!
6 comments:
Sheia, your words mean a lot to me! You've really helped me reach my goal too- thanks for encouraging me every step of the way!
Congrats Sheia, I am very impressed with your dedication! Way to go!
Way to go Sheia! This sounds like a goal I should set for myself, you are an inspiration! I HATE running, but just might have to give it a try one of these days. You are awesome!
Congrats to you!! I need to do something like that. Just something to push myself. Thanks for the inspiration.
You are my hero!!!
Is Byran anonymous?
Post a Comment