Earlier this spring, I started having quite a few migraines. So many within a short amount of time that it was really starting to scare me. My optometrist ruled out my eyes as the problem and strongly encouraged me to get to a neurologist. The neurologist ordered an MRI, which showed some white spots on my brain that suggested I had experienced some mini strokes in the past that had caused some brain damage (white spots). She sent me to a cardiologist for an echo cardiogram and some other tests. These suggested that I have a flap/opening in my heart that never closed after birth between my left and right atrium called a PFO.The thought was that some clots had passed through the flap and gone to my brain causing the mini-strokes.
In recent years, research has shown a high correlation between people who have migraines and PFO’s and an even higher correlation with those who have migraines with aura, and stroke like symptoms with their migraines, like me. So, my neurologist sent me to a specialist in SLC that confirmed the need for me to have a procedure to repair this, and reduce my chances for a serious stroke in the future.
Which finds me here tonight, in the hospital, post procedure with a repaired heart! It turns out that it wasn't a PFO, but an ASD (atrial septal defect), which ended up being a 1/2 inch hole in the septum between my left and right atria. This hole allowed clean and "dirty" blood to mix, as well as blood clots to pass through to my brain, causing the mini-strokes. It only took about 1 hour to close and I was awake enough to be able to watch the whole thing on the monitors. So very cool!
Byran and I feel so blessed that the doctors were able to find and fix this before something very serious happened.I am glad to have this over with because the over-sensitivity to my heart and constant worry every time I cough or sneeze has gotten very old!
(LOVING the toasty warm blankets post-op)
AND the most exciting news, once my heart heals I will possibly be able to welcome back into my life a dearly missed friend….
Chocolate!!!!

18 comments:
Wow, Sheia! Thanks for sharing, I can't believe you had all of this going on. I really hope that it does fix your migraines and that the chocolate consumption can continue, you deserve it! I'm so glad the surgery went ok... hopefully your recovery continues to go great!
I'm glad you posted too and glad that the doctor was able to fix it. Hoping your recovery is quick and that you feel GREAT really soon...
I am glad to know that things went ok. Kaja had a PDA, a valve that didn't close after birth and have to have surgery as well. Please let me know if you need anything
It's good to hear that everything went well for you, you look great!! How cool is that to be able to watch the procedure! And I'm pulling for you to be able to eat chocolate again - that would be hard for me! If you need anything at all, give us a call! :)
Glad everything went well! I'm right here if you need anything, including chocolate!
Wow Sheia, that is scary! I'm so glad you guys caught it before it turned too serious and that the doctors were able to fix the problem. Thank goodness for modern medicine! Thinking of you...
hooray for chocolate! Wow, I am just in awe at what we can do these days with medicine. So glad to hear all went well and you could find the solution to your problem. Very scary though. Let's share a great wall of chocolate cake at P.F. Changs when you recover :)
Glad to hear everything worked out. Hope your recovery goes well. You're in our thoughts...Taylor & Sharel
HOW did I not know this was going on??? I am so happy that you figured it out and that it is resolved! I kept thinking, why is Karissa getting out of someone else's car? duh.
I hope you are well.
So glad everything went well. Hope your recovery will be nice and quick.
Very glad you're fixed!
Glad the procedure went well! I think we should have a chocolate party and have Stacey bring the chocolate fountain! :)
Glad everything went well. You are in our prayers. Daniel & Lynita
Sheia, I had no idea. I'm glad you shared and glad that you are all better. Take care of yourself as you heal and let me know when we can get our kids together again (and ourselves) assuming mine are germ free. :)
We are all ready for an update. Daniel & Lynita
I'm just reading your blog and I'm shocked! You do make cuddling in those blankets look inviting... I'm so glad you finally got some answers and that you are ok. Just in time for a stake calling, hu? Congrats on that as well. I love you and hope you get feeling better soon.
Yeah for chocolate! But such extreme measures to take!! Let me know when I can bring you some of my English Toffee and chocolate fluffy balls! All joking aside, I am so glad that everything went well and that you are doing great! Here's to no more migraines!!!
Post a Comment