Thursday, December 9, 2010
Grandma Update
I love this lady!
I really treasure the time I get to spend with her.
She is doing pretty well, all things considered. She recently finished her physical therapy from the hip surgery she had back in April. She won't ever be able to walk without a lot of assistance again, but she is still able to "walk" to her meals. Speaking of meals, she is doing so much better with her eating, and is feeding herself. She got down to the scary 70's this summer, but is holding steady now at 85 lbs for two months in a row without the need for Ensure.
She is now completely blind in her right eye, but can still see some movement with her left. She gets confused with her days and nights as her world is mostly dark now. She spends a lot of the day in a recliner out in the main living area of her care center. The staff there are so loving and engaging. It is a positive and warm place to live with excellent food.
Although her memory is lacking, her sense of humor is still intact. She still creates comebacks in the form of puns at times. I love that about her. It amazes me how music still reaches into her memory, as she sings right along to hymns and oldies. If she doesn't remember the words she follows the melody. Music makes her happy.
Grandma still recognizes me, once I tell her who I am. She holds tight to my hands and we give each other lots of loves, hugs, and kisses. She loves touch. On somedays she is very lucid, and other days she just wants to sleep.
Grandma is now with hospice care, which has been a good transition for her. She gets much more individualized care and contact this way. They do a great job of assessing her needs physically, mentally, and emotionally on a regular basis and make sure that she is kept comfortable.
I consider it one of my dearest blessings to be able to be closer to her and have these interactions with her. In many ways she is not the same Grandma I grew up with, but so much of her still is. I love reading her personal history. She has lived such a full life. No one can argue that she hasn't loved living!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a beautiful *little* grandma you have! Such a sweet post. So glad I found your blog!!! Hope you guys have a good Christmas at the cabin if I don't talk to ya before then!
Sheia, you captured Grandma perfectly. Thank you for your sweet post and for ALL that you continue to do for Grandma. I love the picture of the two of you. It made me smile and touched my heart. I think the two of you are definitely "kindred spirits". Grandma has always gotten the most out of life and you are much like her. You are wonderful and we love you!
Post a Comment