Over the years in the many towns and wards where we have lived, Byran and I have developed some wonderful friendship with those we lived by or gone to church with. I like to know people beyond the surface chatter-which is very uncomfortable for me. I like to know people's likes, dislikes, what life experiences they have had that make them who they are, and to be able to know what is going on in someone's life to feel in tune to be able to tell if someone is having a rough day, or that today is the anniversary of when a friend's brother passed away and so they might need a phone call, or to feel like I can invite someone's kids over so the parents can have some much needed alone time(I'm so sure that was a run-on-sentence-oh well). We have kept in touch with many friends although we have moved, and love the fact that we can just pick up where we left off with them when we are together again. Living in Alabama so far from family, our ward members, in particular, became like family. We treasure the relationships that we have developed and kept over the years.
We loved the neighborhood and ward that we moved from when we sold our last house. So many great friends and people there! I loved the familiarity of walking into a church meeting, or driving down our street and thinking about the people I knew well and what was going on in their lives. Moving just 1.5 miles away from our old house certainly has its benefits. The kids are still in the same school, have their friends from the old neighborhood over, and I can still see and maintain friendships more than just through email or Christmas cards. I have loved this!
We've lived in our new home about 6 months now, and other than our few close-by neighbors I haven't really gotten to know many new people. It has been a little on the uncomfortable side(socially) for me to sit in a church meeting and not feel much or little connection with the majority of the people there and know nothing about them at all. I'm sure they are all wonderful people, and they have all been nice, but I haven't taken it upon myself to really put myself out there and get to know others. I just couldn't understand why this move has been so different from all of the others. It finally occurred to me recently that this is the first in-town move we have made which has allowed me to maintain a more constant contact with those we have moved from. I love my old neighborhood friends dearly, but it occurred to me that I have been relying so heavily on those attachment that I haven't put myself out there to really get to know my new ward.
So, the very week I had determined to change things in my social life and start being ME and investing myself in THIS ward, I got an email invitation for a "Girls' Night Out" for anyone in our neighborhood/ward. I was thrilled! There is just something about the atmosphere outside of a church function that allows you to see the more casual and different sides of people's personalities. Perceptions change, at least mine do, and I am more often than not pleasantly surprised that people are very different than how I have pictured them to be. I wonder if people think that about me too once they get to know me?
January's Girls' Night Out ended up being fun, and I offered to have February's at my house. Last night was the big night and it ended up being a lot of fun! 
Having it in my home made it easier for me to feel comfortable. About 20 ladies came and brought treats. We ate and visited and laughed and got to know each other better. 
I hope everyone else had a good time too. I look forward to our next one in March. 
I look forward to being able to actually have real things to talk with people about in the halls at church, when I bump into them at Walmart or at the kids' school.
I'm thrilled to be able to keep my old friends, but now look forward to having a whole new set of people to add to my collection of life-long friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment