Friday, March 26, 2010

My Dream Is Back!

When we lived in Alabama I fell in love with Blue Bell's Banana Pudding Ice Cream. A container of it would not last very long at our house. My friends knew that was just the treat to give me. There was something about the combination of a creamy banana base, the texture of the frozen graham crackers (or vanilla wafers?) and marshmallow ribbons that would get me every time. It's the kind of ice cream that I day dream about.

It didn't help that the decor in The Lellowhouse was mostly pale yellow walls, white trim and tan carpet. I remember laying in bed some mornings and looking at the view from my bed and craving banana pudding ice cream.

Unfortunately, I have not found an equal here. Banana pudding just isn't a staple here in the west like it was in the deep south. I've had DQ make a semi-close Blizzard, and Sonic does an ok shake, but they both tend to be too mushy gushy and have too many crumbs. So for the last 5 years I have been forced to just day dream about the days of banana pudding ice cream.

Until this week. Enter my new ice cream maker.....and WALLA!

Sheia's BANANA PUDDING ICE CREAM-daydream worthy

Whisk 2 large eggs for 2 minutes
Slowly add in 3/4 cup sugar and continue whisking for 1 more minute

In a blender puree 2 very ripe bananas and 1/2 cup milk until smooth

Add 2 cups whipping cream to egg and sugar mixture.
Add in banana milk mixture and another 1/2 cup milk.
Mix well and pour into ice cream freezer and turn freezer on.

Break graham crackers into small bite sizes until you have 1 1/2 cups graham cracker pieces. Shake off crumbs and set bites aside.

When ice cream has finished, transfer to your freezer container and fold in graham crackers and 1 cup mini marshmallows. Put in freezer to cure for aprox. 2 hours.

I think I am in trouble, because this is the view from my bed in this house....

6 comments:

JoLayne K. said...

YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE US SOME THE NEXT TIME WE COME DOWN. LOOKS VERY GOOD.

courtneyb said...

i love it. The ice cream maker was such a great idea for you! I really like ours but I don't get it out as often as I should.

Leanne said...

Ha ha I think you need a yellow comforter. That sounds SO YUMMY!!!

Maren said...

It looks very yummy! If you ever need a taste-tester, you know where I live!

Deborah said...

Christian has been singing the praises of blue bell for years. I had never tasted it until we went to Outback Steakhouse in Idaho Falls. And guess what they had . . . Blue Bell vanilla. We were stuffed but we had to order it. From now on we are going to take regular visits to Outback just for the ice cream. :)

Ruby said...

now THAT looks good! I got my strawberries from Walmart...can you believe it?!