Monday, April 25, 2011

Un-Frozen

Last week the doctor diagnosed me with a "frozen shoulder". It was likely the result of having to keep my arm quite stationary for the last 3 months as well as a possible injury from the accident. It had gotten to the point that the pain was keeping me awake at night, and the almost constant discomfort and lack of mobility was not allowing me to progress with physical therapy and other movement on my right side.
The treatment I had for it today is called a shoulder manipulation. Byran took me to the hospital first thing this morning. After 2 good tries by the nurse with the IV, the anesthesiologist came in and finally got it in. They put me out and then the doctor went to town on my shoulder cranking it around and breaking through the scar tissue that had built up. The doctor then gave me a shot or two of cortisone to help with the inflammation.

I was only out for about 5 minutes, but THANK GOODNESS I was out for that! There was quite a bit of pain when I woke up, and once that was under control, the lovely nausea set in. Then off to physical therapy as the doctor wanted to get my arm moving as soon as possible. I'm hoping Byran remembers what they told me, because I was fighting nausea and to stay awake the whole time from all the meds.  Speaking of B, he has been so wonderful to me!  He is so steady. He's got to be tired of the tears by now, but never shows it. He has been amazing.

So this is what I can do now!
It is amazing the difference five minutes can make! Well, that and some good sleep. Now I'm going to see what ice cream therapy does for this arm. I'm certain cookies and cream will be quite therapeutic :)

7 comments:

JoLayne K. said...

Sheia we are so grateful that things are going better for you. You and your husband have been through so much. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Kristy said...

Hang in there friend! There will be an end to all this...hopefully soon!

Laura said...

WE LOVE YOU SHEIA! Hope today is a better shoulder day.

PS: Thanks for feeding my husband and daughter on Sunday. Jeff said they had a good time. :)

Leanne said...

You are so strong and amazing! I hope the shoulder stays unfrozen for you..I bet its nice to be able to move it now!

Cass said...

Yikes! I hope the cookies & cream helped. :)

Brian and Amelia said...

I've been thinking about you, I'm glad that you got past this, and I hope that it continues to improve for you! I'm sure it feels great to move it, now!

Eve said...

Your strength continues to inspire me.