Monday, February 23, 2009

My Sweethearts


Valentines' Day is one of my favorite days of the year. I think being a February baby has something to do with the romantic in me. A while back I decided to make Valentines' Day a day that I celebrate the sweethearts in my life. It has been a fun day for me to look forward to every year and is becoming a favorite family tradition.
I just want Byran and my Magoobies to look forward to Valentines' Day, regardless of what is happening in their "love life" and know how much they are loved by ME.

Unfortunately, this year Kyler was out of commission all day with a high fever. He we feeling well enough in the evening to join us for the festivities.
I have special decorations that I use every year including place cards, heart confetti, and of course the cheesy champagne glasses with hearts on them. Each year I try to add a little something. This year it was the glass heart candle holders. Our heart chandelier didn't make it up this year due to the light fixture above our table being in the wrong place.
You can't tell it from the picture, but I turn the lights down low so it is all glow-ey with the candle light. Usually the family is away on "errands" or at school when I decorate and then get the big surprise when they walk in the door. This year, due to a sickey boy, everyone just stayed upstairs until all was ready.

We start the dinner with everyone making lovely toasts. These end up being unintentionally humorous attempts at being formal and serious! One of the all-time-favorite toasts came several years ago, "To Heavenly Father, Jesus, and the Plan of Salvation"! Maybe not the typical toast, but very sincere and certainly memorable!

Our traditional Sweetheart's dinner includes Stuffed Pasta Shells, steamed green beans, rolls, and strawberry jello jigglers cut into hearts and topped with whipped cream. This years' dessert was cream puffs drizzled with chocolate and a few raspberrries on the side.

After dinner we open and read our Valentines from each other and ones that have come in the mail during the week. This is my favorite part of the evening. I love the sweet love notes and everyone's reactions! Next, I pass out simple gifts for each of my Valentines.

Then on to our Valentines' Dance!
Over the years we have found a few family songs, songs that somehow reminds us of each of our children, and then of course "our song" from when Byran and I got engaged. Byran has made these into a CD that we use for our dance.

We DANCE, and DANCE, and DANCE!

Can you tell from this picture that I'm about to be passed in height by my 11 year old son? Next year's Sweethearts' Dance I'll for sure be looking UP at him!

It's fun to interact with the kids like this and they LOVE IT when their song comes on!


I LOVE MY SWEETHEARTS!

3 comments:

Ruby said...

how cute! You have a lot more energy than I do!! I tried logging into Yummy Mummy but could not find the "customize" button. Maby I'm not an invited reader. Is there another way to post?

Stephanie said...

Oh, cute! Sad that Ky was sick. It looks like you had a fun v-day with your family.

Ashli said...

I hope you don't mind my peeking into your blogosphere. You're Valentine's ideas are so fun. I think it's great how you make your whole family feel loved and involved. Oh, and happy late Birthday!