Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ky's Trip

Kyler is a funny little boy. It amazes me the way his brain works. He is a little boy with a definite plan, and he's pretty strong minded when he has that plan all figured out in his head. There's not a whole lot of ability to convince him otherwise. The problem is that I'm not always the quickest at figuring out what his plan is. But there IS a PLAN.

The other day he came to me with his PLAN in his head and said "I need a paper for my cwose"....What? "I need a paper for my cwose!" I'm telling you I just didn't get it! When I probed more I finally got out of him that he was going on a trip and he needed a paper for his clothes.

Growing up in my house, whenever our family went on a trip Mom would draw pictures of items we needed as packing list on the chalkboard in the kitchen. This was especially helpful for those who didn't yet read. I've adopted this same method, though on paper for my kids and it works great. The kids love it.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you "A Paper for Kyler's Cwose":


Here are Kyler's packing piles completed (he folded everything himself). I accidentally left "unders" off the list and Kyler packed them anyway. What kind of 3 year old thinks to pack clean underwear on their own? I know my 11 year old wouldn't cause he doesn't even remember to change them (or his socks) when they are packed with his clothes at camp.

When Kyler was finished he brought me in to show off his work and then proudly added, "I packed my swimming soup too!"


Now if I could just get him to share some of his skills with his brother and sister.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I could use him at my house as an example too!!! What a cutie! That is such a great idea, drawing pictures for them.

Deborah said...

Maybe he can come and help me pack!

RA said...

Get the jolly ranchers, licorice, and trail mix out... it's time to go on a trip. Does he get the cupboard in the trailer above the pull out bed to pack his clothes in so he didn't have to crawl under mom and dad's bed with a flashlight to get his pajamas out?

The Hafen Family said...

Go Kyler! I'm very impressed. He'll make a great husband someday.