Saturday, March 19, 2011

Out With the Old, In With the New

I got rid of both of these this week:


I actually haven't used the wheelchair in quite a while except to sit in when I eat meals because of its comfortable cushion. The crutch is exactly that, a crutch, so I'm getting rid of it too!

My arm situation has been very discouraging lately, but yesterday while talking with my PT, Shane (who has been amazing by the way) before we started my session, he had me tell him about all the changes that have taken place since I saw him a week ago. There has been progress! Some big, some little, but definitely good progress.
  • down to only 3 pain pills a day
  • more mobility in my fingers
  • 15 degrees more extension in my elbow
  • I rode in a car with someone besides Byran-this is BIG! (Thanks Maren !)
  • Spent most mornings up "working" around the house
 So here is the NEW...

The arm brace I wear at night to help me maintain my elbow extension (basically keeps my arm straight so I don't keep it bent for 8 hours straight while I sleep)
 Hand therapy exercises that I do 4 times a day,
 A new finger spring splint that I wear on each finger for 15 minutes 3 times a day to help keep my fingers from remaining permanently curled,
 And last but not least, a new treadmill!
Yes, I have finally made it to the point where I can do it!

Just a little review.... The OLD Sheia, January 30th-5 days after the accident:


The NEW Sheia, yesterday with awesome PT Shane...



Watch out Apollo Ono!

7 comments:

Ruby said...

Way to go Sheia! What I'm wondering is do you have a "new" bra yet???

Anonymous said...

Way to go! You are making such amazing progress.

JoLayne K. said...

So glad to hear the good news. Keep up the work everyday and you will ge back to normal very soon.

Eve said...

You are an amazing woman. Thanks for sharing your journey and allowing the rest of us to be inspired by your strength.

Erin said...

You have come so far! Amazing! I'm so impressed with how you've endured everything and pushed through. Keep on going! You can do anything.

Kristy said...

I'm so happy for you! I would say that the time has gone by fast and that you are healing faster than people said you would...but I'm sure it doesn't feel that way to you. :)

Leanne said...

HOORAY!!! you are doing great!!