Friday, March 25, 2011

New Hardware

Here it is.

Yes, those are some serious screws screwed into my ulna that holds the plate which makes the bone straight again.  The one in the middle that looks somewhat parallel to the plate is securing a bone fragment in place. Do you think this is a little creepy? No wonder it feels the way it does.

The doctor said it went well. He said that it was a little tricky fitting it back together after 8 weeks. There was no new bone growth, but there were a few fibers which showed that it was trying.

So, for the next 10 days my arm will stay like this and then the stitches will be removed.
After that I will wear a brace and can start using my arm as tolerated. Still a ways to go, but it is stable and will likely heal more quickly now-the right way.

I had a shoulder block which put my shoulder to finger tips completely numb for the first 16 hours. It is like an epidural for your arm. It felt like someone else's arm laying there.  Such a strange sensation! There has definitely been pain, but once we got the meds adjusted it has been more tolerable. 

I'm glad we did it, and even more glad to be on this side of it. 

6 comments:

Cass said...

Hooray! So glad it's over and went well.

Erin said...

Yikes! Look at those screws! Sheia, you are one tough cookie! I'm glad it's behind you and you can now heal faster.

Leanne said...

Hoping for a quick recovery!! again. Sorry you had to go through that though.

The Pricketts said...

I'm so glad you were able to get the surgery so soon. It looked like you made the right decision. I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

RoMo said...

It's kind of a cool picture...

Kristy said...

I don't know what people are talking about...I think it looks very pretty and comfortable. :)