Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Casting and Dramatics

Monday's doctor events were a bit intense. First stop was the orthopedic surgeon. I was so anxious and nervous that he would want to x-ray my pelvis again or that my arm was going to need to be re-set. Thank goodness I only had to lay on my back for the pelvis x-ray and no rolling onto my hips-YEA!

The  bone in my arm was still all aligned too, so no re-setting. The doctor decided my arm was  ready for a cast and that I only needed a short arm cast. So then the casting process began...but first, a last look at my splint so thoughtfully decorated by Karissa.
 Do I look a little nervous? I was! There was this cute little boy in the room who was also getting a cast, but he also had to have his arm set. Oh that was hard to hear his little cries. He was very brave.

This next picture comes with a warning....it is a little graphic so if you don't like to see old bruises and shriveled skin you might to look away as you scroll down :)


















The really cool thing about this cast is that it is waterproof! I can shower or do my pool therapy without bagging up and ripping the tape off of my skin. It dries in about an hour.
 
Next up, at physical therapy I got my legs and body all torqued around to determine my range of motion and what I am capable of. During all that it came out about the dizziness I have been experiencing since the accident. He did this interesting test with goggles and a camera that showed how my eyes reacted to movement like laying down. He said that I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). The treatment was pulling me up quickly from a lying to sitting position with my head turned sideways. It supposedly resets the crystals in my inner ear which effects balance. It hurt like heck to roll up onto my hip, so I hope it was effective! I haven't had that dizziness since, so hopefully I'm fixed!

With all that, plus the "mock code red" including alarms and strobe lights while we were in the cafeteria, the car rides and stair climbing, my emotional and physical energy was spent. 
So I went home to bed.

No comments: