Sunday, February 27, 2011

Surprises

I LOVE surprises. The good kind that is. Those real surprises, out of the blue, you-had-no-idea-it-was-coming kind.

Two weeks ago I got a surprise phone call from my dear friend Becky from Alabama. Their family had been our second family when we lived there so far from ours. It had been many months since we had visited on the phone and I missed her. Becky is one of the most loyal, dependable, determined, generous, and hardworking Momma Bears you will ever meet. She had just read my blog and found out about the accident, and was calling to check on us. It was so great to catch up with her and hear about her family and out other Alabama friends.

Several days later, my friend Gwen was here visiting with my sister Shereece and I when there was a knock at the door. Shereece opened it, and there at my doorstep was Becky, all the way from Alabama! I can not begin to describe the surprise and emotions that came next as I started bawling. She made me feel like a million bucks and those months that we hadn't kept in contact (which I am equally responsible for) just melted away and I was back in Alabama again listening to her thick accent and having her in person with me again. I was so thrilled for Gwen and Shereece to get to meet her live and in person so they will really know Becky when I talk about her!

Her two hour visit slipped by way too quickly, but she had to meet her daughter and family that evening in Salt Lake to help them drive their moving van back to Alabama the next day. She had flown in earlier and rented a car to come see me. Becky, if you are reading this, you need to know how much this meant to me. I love you dear friend!
Another very special surprise showed up last Monday afternoon. It was my birthday, and you would think that would be the one day that I would be on guard for surprises. However, under the circumstances, I was looking forward to a quiet birthday and just plenty thrilled to be alive and well enough to be home with my family for my birthday.

Karissa was painting my nails at the kitchen table with the new yellow birthday polish she gave me when the doorbell rang this time. In came 6 of my dear friends from 11th ward where we lived in our last house! They brought with them balloons, presents, apple pie, ice cream and their beautiful friendship. It was so good to be with them all again. I don't know that they realize how much I have missed having interactions with them as often as we used to when we were all close neighbors. I have learned very specific life lessons from each one of them that have influenced who I am now or how I do things in callings, or how I respond to situations that I've come across since having them in my life. They all are such talented ladies that I feel so blessed to count as friends.
 
It was a wonderful feeling being surrounded by wonderful friends and I kept begging them to stay longer. They made me feel so good! I hated to see them go. Let's get together again soon!

That day I also had a surprise visit from my brother Jeff, his wife Laura, and daughter Natilee. This was a sweet surprise too as they had just been over the night before for a family birthday dinner. How I have missed playing with Natilee on Thursdays. I hope to be able to get back to that soon.

There have been so many wonderful surprises from such thoughtful friends and family over the last month. From strawberry milkshake Whoppers, girlie PJ's, organizing magazines :), flowers, a soft blanket, pedicure/manicure, an edible bouquet that my kids went crazy over, notes, emails, phone calls, etc, and my favorite-the visits! I have loved the visits and have felt so very loved.

Thank you thank you! I have marveled how one of the worst "surprises"I have personally experienced has brought about so many wonderful, wonderful surprises when I have been most needy that have made me recognized how blessed I am -and not alone.  Thank you all for making me feel so loved!

2 comments:

JoLayne K. said...

What wonderful surprises you have had. I wonder what the next on will be like. Lots of Love!!!

Erin said...

Wow! Your friend surprising you all the way from Alabama! What a great surprise.